Sunday, April 17, 2005

Surfers Do It ...

..... Wax their boards, that is. I was merrily knitting along on the K2P2 rib of my newest sock and decided my US1 Brittany Birch needles had too much drag. I dug out some beeswax beads (from my candlemaking days) and waxed each needle, buffing them until they sang.



So many times a digital camera will exaggerate the colors - not this time, though. As seen on my monitor, the colors in this sock are quite accurate. It's Schachenmayr Nomotta Micro Color, in #80 Phoenix colorway. Tell me, does this look like the same yarn? Yeah, that's what I thought, too. I like what I got, just was quite surprised. It's sport weight, 145m per 50g, 100% Acrylic microfiber. It sort of feels rayon-y, a bit heavy and quite silky. It tends to split, but otherwise makes for pleasant knitting. I'll reserve final judgement until I've worn and washed these a few times.

I'm so easily amused. Yesterday evening I was enjoying the sounds of spring, including the noise of a tractor traversing back and forth in the field that adjoins my back yard. I happened to look up and saw that the young farmer had a companion, a lovely young woman, squeezed into the seat beside him. Nothing like date night on the farm!